Saturday, December 19, 2020

Young Writers should be patient, never be in a rush to the press

 

SYNW INTERVIEW SERIES FOR THE MONTH OF DECEMBER, 2020

 

YOUNG WRITERS SHOULD BE PATIENT, NEVER BE IN A RUSH TO THE PRESS


 

Flourish, Joshua Molòlùwa is an Award-Winning Nigerian Poet & Author of "Arúgbó ń Ṣ'oge", his debut poetry chapbook. In this concise interview with Wole Adedoyin, he shared with him some brief facts surrounding his writing career and reading habit.

 

 WHY ARE YOU A POET?

MFJ: I do not think I intentionally and consciously chose to be a Poet. Poetry chose me and I let it lead me thus far.

 WHAT POETS DO YOU ADMIRE?

MFJ : Wale Ayinla, Nome Emeka Patrick, Logan February, Pamilerin Jacob, Theresa Lola, Romeo Oriogun . . . to name a few.

WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

MFJ: Anything & everything.

 TELL US ABOUT A NORMAL WORKING DAY:

MFJ: From time to time, everyday, poetry tends to come in. Or let me rather say, poetry clings to my neck like a cape, so that I bare it like a yoke while doing my day-to-day activities.

HOW DO YOU WRITE?

MFJ: Uniquely. Out of "the box". Poetically. In a way that if ART stopped by to read me, it'd appreciate me well.

WHAT’S YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS BEHIND A POEM?

MFJ: It could take me couple of days to brush up on a poem, because my thoughts are too wild. I use what are not related to what I want to portray, to talk about what I want to portray. Then I leave it for days to return to it with a fresh eye to spot errors or chaff.

DESCRIBE YOUR ROUTE TO BEING PUBLISHED…

MFJ: Everyone wants to get published. I mean, it's a good thing. Once I'm sure I am done with a poem, I send it out for publication. If it is rejected, I know they simply don't like it, and I'd send it elsewhere. I don't go back and forth on works I'm done with.

WHAT’S YOUR ADVICE TO AN ASPIRING POET?

MFJ: Never (ever) be in a hurry to getting published. Be patient with your art and in all you do, step out of the ordinary.

 

SYNW : FINAL QUESTION (PROMISE!): DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR THE YET-TO-BE-PUBLISHED WRITERS READING THIS?

MFJ : In deed and in truth, write things that haven't been stressed out already. Just find a great and (lonely) path to tread. If you're good, others will follow you with time. Be patient with your art. A great poem is better than a good manuscript.

SYNW:  TALK TO US ABOUT YOUR WRITING ROUTINE; WHAT’S A TYPICAL WRITING DAY FOR YOU?

MFJ: A lot of thinking, talking to myself, strolling to and fro, looking weird and everything in-between.

SYNW: WHERE DO YOU WRITE FROM?

MFJ: A very cold and serene estate in Ogun State.

ON THIS TOPIC, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO BUILD A PLATFORM AND GAIN READERSHIP?

MFJ: I do not think gaining readership is an automatic thing. I mean, it can't be purchased. A poem gains lot of readership by its madness and uniqueness. As for platforms, there are a lot of them.

SYNW: WEBSITE(S)?

MFJ: Not yet.

SYNW: Favorite movie?

MFJ: I barely see movies.

SYNW:  BEST PIECE(S) OF WRITING ADVICE WE HAVEN’T DISCUSSED?

MFJ : In all you do, as a writer, step out of the ordinary.

SYNW: SOMETHING PERSONAL ABOUT YOU PEOPLE MAY BE SURPRISED TO KNOW?

MFJ : I am the (only) Yorùbá man who doesn't eat "swallow" foods.

SYNW:  WHAT’S NEXT?

MFJ: Doing greater things, heading for spotlights and writing more.

 

Flourish, Joshua Molòlùwa is an Award-Winning Nigerian Poet & Author of "Arúgbó ń Ṣ'oge", his debut poetry chapbook. His essay, "The Nexus", won 2rd runner-up at the 7th Ngozi Agbo Essay Competition. He was shortlisted for Pen On Fire Creative Writing Contest Season 1. He had had interview sessions with the Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe and the Deputy Vice Chancellor, Prof. (Mrs) Fọláṣadé Ogunsola. His poems are featured weekly in the bulletin of MFM Int'l Hqtrs Youth Church. He was performance poet at Dr. Taiwo Ojo's Book Launch, on CHANNELS TV, 2019. His poem, "There is a Way that Seemeth Right" was 1st runner-up at the Lagos-Badagry Poetry League. Flourish, Joshua Molòlùwa writes poetic prologues for Dr. D. K Olukoya's books. His poem, "Reincarnate", was anthologized in the fifth Chinụa Achebe Essay/Poetry Anthology. Presently, Flourish Joshua teaches Literature in a Secondary School in Lagos State and was recently nominated for the Best Messager Poet 2020 at the ZenPens Literary Award, 2020. His works have been published and are forthcoming in Rattle, Palette Poetry, Praxis Magazine, Beloit Poetry, Glass Poetry, AGNI magazine, Kalahari Review, African Writers, ZenPens, Poemify, NaijaHotstars, BellaNaija, and elsewhere. He writes from a serene and cold estate in Ogun State. You may find him on Instagram & Twitter @fjspeaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment