Saturday, December 19, 2020

Young Poets should Explore the Internet for Greater Opportunities

 

SYNW INTERVIEW SERIES FOR THE MONTH OF DECEMBER, 2020

 

YOUNG POETS SHOULD EXPLORE THE INTERNET FOR GREATER OPPORTUNITIES


 

 

Olatubosun David is a Nigeria writer and poet. He is also a member of PEN, Nigeria Centre. In this brief interview with Wole Adedoyin, the Coordinator of SYNW in Achievers University, shared with him some facts surrounding his life and writing career.

 

 

SYNW: WHY ARE YOU A POET?

 

OD: I didn't choose to be a poet. God made me one. It is important that you know that the gift of a man defines him, if he treasures and utilizes that gift.

 

SYNW:  WHAT POETS DO YOU ADMIRE?

 

OD: I admire every poet that writes what appeals to my emotion. There are a good number of established poets I admire such as Dike Chukwumerije, Mbizo Chirasha (Zimbabwean poet), Folu Agoi (the President of PEN, Nigeria Centre), Tony Marinho (a columnist in The Nations Newspaper), Sola Owonibi (the author of Homeless not Hopeless), Sunday Afolayan (the author of Beyond the Silent Grave), Demola Jolayemi (the author of Ode to Winnie Africa: Reminiscent Sonnets). I also read and admire some other young African writers like myself. 

 

SYNW: WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

 

OD: What I see, what I feel, what I hear, the happenings around me - good or bad.

 

SYNW:  TELL US ABOUT A NORMAL WORKING DAY…

 

OD: As a staff of higher institution (Achievers University, Ọ̀wọ̀), my normal working days are from Monday to Friday. And as a non teaching staff, there is no academic freedom, so I work from 8am to 5pm everyday. I still, however, find time to do things I fancy.

 

SYNW: HOW DO YOU WRITE?

 

OD: Different people have their own different writing styles.  Most of the time, I conceive ideas in form of a whisper. At times, I feel a burden upon my heart that propels me to write. Some other times, a line (which sometimes may later disappear in the body of the work) may just come to me. I would grab and quickly pen it down. Then, I would continue to nurse it until it matures as I write. 

 

SYNW:  WHAT’S YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS BEHIND A POEM?

OD: Nothing too special. Conceive an idea, nurture it and pen it. 

 

 

SYNW:  DESCRIBE YOUR ROUTE TO BEING PUBLISHED…

 

OD: I just make sure I don't despise any idea muse gives me. I write and send to online magazines and websites and anthologies. So far I have a number of published works online and hard copies.

 

SYNW: WHAT’S YOUR ADVICE TO AN ASPIRING POET?

 

OD: They should continue to read, read, read and write, write, write. 

 

 

SYNW:  WHAT (IF ANY) SORTS OF EDITORIAL CHANGES DID THE MANUSCRIPT GO THROUGH? DID YOU WORK THROUGH THESE WITH YOUR AGENT AND/OR EDITORS WITHIN THE PUBLISHING HOUSE?

 

OD: For now, I write and edit my poems myself and sometimes by my brother (Sunday Afolayan). Meanwhile, it's good for poems or other forms of writing to pass through editorial table for healing purposes. That is, it allows elimination of hidden mistakes, thereby making a literary work better and more suitable to the reading public. However, such must be competent hands.

 

 

SYNW:  FINAL QUESTION (PROMISE!): DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR THE YET-TO-BE-PUBLISHED WRITERS READING THIS?

 

OD: Yes. The advice I have for them is that they should follow the rules they have known (or may not have known) already. To continue to read and continue to write. They should believe in God and the gift He endowed to them. It's a perfect gift; even though no man is perfect. Yet persistence can make them better and better until they become the best of God (which is the best they can ever be). They should seek opportunities on the Internet. They shouldn't feel discouraged at rejection letters from editors. With time they can be the person of their dream. 

 

SYNW: TALK TO US ABOUT YOUR WRITING ROUTINE; WHAT’S A TYPICAL WRITING DAY FOR YOU?

 

OD: Well, some people do have a particular day for writing but for me, I don't have a particular day of writing. I only write when the muse engages me. 

 

SYNW: WHERE DO YOU WRITE FROM?

 

OD: I write from Ọ̀wọ̀, Ondo State, Nigeria. 

 

SYNW:  ON THIS TOPIC, WHAT ARE YOU DOING THE BUILD A PLATFORM AND GAIN READERSHIP?

 

OD: Like I said earlier, I submit my poems to online websites and also to local and international anthologies. I also post some of them on social media handles. 

 

SYNW: Website(s)?

 

OD: No

 

SYNW:  FAVORITE MOVIE?

OD: I like Yorùbá traditional movies and other ones that promote Africa culture and preserve our identity.

 

SYNW: BEST PIECE(S) OF WRITING ADVICE WE HAVEN’T DISCUSSED?

OD: No 

 

SYNW: SOMETHING PERSONAL ABOUT YOU PEOPLE MAY BE SURPRISED TO KNOW?

OD: Let it remain personal, please. 

 

SYNW: WHAT’S NEXT?

 

OD: My Christmas gift! Hahaha.  We all know Christmas is what's next. And maybe my birthday too which is December 27. Hahahaha.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment