Sunday, November 8, 2020

You can't be a good writer, if you are not a good Reader - Michael David Ogbonnaya

 

SYNW INTERVIEW SERIES FOR THE MONTH OF OCTOBER, 2020

 

YOU CAN'T BE A GOOD WRITER, IF YOU ARE NOT A GOOD READER - MICHAEL DAVID OGBONNAYA

 


Michael David Ogbonnaya is a Fiction Writer. He is a member of the Society of Young Nigerian Writers (SYNW). In this brief interview with Wole Adedoyin, he shared with him some facts surrounding his life and writing career.

 

 

SYNW: MAY WE MEET YOU?

 

MICHAEL: My name is Michael David Ogbonnaya. I am a native of Lodu-Imenyi in Bende Local Government of Abia State. I graduated from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, where I read Zoology. I am a Fiction Writer.

 

SYNW: WHY DO YOU WRITE?

 

MICHAEL: I write because it's what I deeply love. I write because It's an avenue through which I find uttermost expression, it gives me a sense of fulfilment and meaning.

 

SYNW: WHICH NOVELISTS DO YOU ADMIRE?

 

MICHAEL: A couple of them; Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Chinua Achebe, Buchi Emecheta, Sidney Sheldon, Lola Shoneyi, Ben Okri.

 

SYNW: DESCRIBE THE ROUTE TO YOUR FIRST NOVEL BEING PUBLISHED…

 

MICHAEL: I was first published in a Chinua Achebe Anthology; An anthology of poems. I felt elated when the opportunity came because I really wanted to be read by others. And so, when I saw the opportunity, I jumped at it.  Although I don't consider myself a poet, but it was easy for me to  write a poem about Achebe because he was one of those who inspired me.

 

SYNW: HOW HAS HAVING A PUBLISHER HELPED YOU?

 

MICHAEL: It has given me the opportunity of being read by a large community of people.

 

SYNW: WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO AN ASPIRING NOVELIST?

 

MICHAEL: I would say to an aspiring writer, read widely. Read, Read and Read. And then write. Here is it, you can't be a good writer, if you are not a good reader. You need to learn from the masters. After learning from the masters, you tell your own story.

 

SYNW: WHICH NOVELISTS DO YOU ADMIRE?

 

MICHAEL: I'm currently reading Paulo Coehlo's 'The Alchemist' and also Tsitsi Dangerembga's 'Nervous Conditions'.

 

SYNW: WHAT WAS THE BOOK THAT MOST INFLUENCED YOUR LIFE, AND WHY?

 

MICHAEL: I'm deeply influenced by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's and Chinua Achebe's works. When I first Achebe, I loved his work. It full of powerful and intelligent proverbs. I enjoyed it, some of his works like Things Fall Apart and Arrow of God, talked about precolonial Nigeria.  

But I thought I couldn't write like Achebe because I couldn't talk about a Chief priest and sacrifices and Colonialism.

 

Then I read Adichie. With her, I gained confidence. She wrote about things I was very familiar with. So in many ways, she paved the way for me. So now, I write about things that interest me and also draw from Achebe's bountiful wisdom and his style.

 

For me, it wasn't just a book that influenced my life. It's a combinations of things; books and videos I watched. I was deeply taken when I first saw Chimamanda Adichie's Ted talk titled 'The Dangers of A Single Story' I think that talk captures the center of humanity.

 

Because I believe as humans, we are not just one thing, we are a collection of many things. And there is never a single story to any thing. So, for me, 'The Dangers of a Single Story' really had a great impact on me as a writer.

 

 

SYNW: WHAT ARE YOUR 10 FAVORITE BOOKS —AND WHY?

 

i. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I love the way the story was told- its going back and forth. I love the simplicity of the grammar and yet the fact that they formed sophisticated sentences. I love  the honesty of the novel.

 

ii. Arrow of God by Chinua Achebe for it's ancientness, it's descriptive prowess. It's richness in Igbo proverbs.

 

iii. Joys of Motherhood by Buchi Emecheta for it's truthfulness and vividness and melancholy.

 

iv. Native Son by Richard Wright. I love this book, for it's intrigue. I think this book is a master when it comes to writing  dialogues in a prose.

 

v. The Secret lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyi. I love this book for the way it's able to hold one's attention to the very last sentence of the book.

 

vi. Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I love this book, because It captures the humanity of a people even during a civil war. - How people could live and laugh and even have sex in the midst of a civil war.

 

vii. Blurred Vision by  Dayo Benson for it's suspense.

 

viii. Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I love this book for its coolness and yet its fierceness.

 

ix. Miracle by Tope Folarin (A short story) I love this book for it's suspense and humor.

 

x. Things Fall Apart  by Chinua Achebe. I love  this book for its unhinging descriptive power.

 

SYNW: FAVORITE FILMS?

 

MICHAEL: Olympus has fallen.

The November Man.

Game of thrones (The series)

House of cards (The series)

Taken Part 1, 2 and 3.

 

SYNW: FAVORITE MUSIC?

 

MICHAEL: For king and country - Shoulders.

 

SYNW: WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE BOOKS TO GIVE — AND GET — AS GIFTS?

 

MICHAEL: The Secret Lives of Baba's Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyi.

 

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

 

Arrow of God by Chinua Achebe.

 

The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyi.

 

 

SYNW: GIVE US THREE "GOOD TO KNOW" FACTS ABOUT YOU. BE CREATIVE. TELL US ABOUT THE INSPIRATION FOR YOUR WRITING.

 

MICHAEL: I  consider myself to be a storyteller. I have understood through reading that irrespective of culture or ethnicity or religion or race, we share a common humanity. We all seek to be valued.

 

 

SYNW: WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT YOUR READERS TO KNOW? CONSIDER HERE YOUR LIKES AND DISLIKES,

 

MICHAEL: I love to address issues from the angle of story telling. I love to read and write.  I'm a fan of any good music. I love Onugbu soup and Fufu. Water melons are my favorite fruits. I love honesty and sincerity and hard work. I dislike lies and incompetence. I have interest in playing the keyboard. I also have interest in acting.

 

Hobbies - Playing lawn tennis (although I'm not very good) laughs. I also love driving.

 

 

SYNW: YOUR FAVORITE WAYS TO UNWIND

 

One of my favorite ways of unwinding is, watching a good movie on my laptop, in the comfort of my house.  Having my popcorn by my side, the curtains are down, the room is dark (cinema mood). Laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment