Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Upcoming Poets should be original and ready to learn from successful poets – Onatunde Rachael

SYNW INTERVIEW SERIES FOR THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER, 2020

UPCOMING POETS SHOULD BE ORIGINAL AND READY TO LEARN FROM SUCCESSFUL POETS – ONATUNDE RACHAEL

 


Onatunde Rachael is a Graduate of English/French from the College of Education Osiele Abeokuta Ogun State Nigeria. In this short interview with Wole Adedoyin, the current State Secretary of the Society of Young Nigeria Writers (SYNW – Oyo State Chapter) speaks on her life and writing

 SYNW: WHY ARE YOU A POET?

OR:  As driving a bus makes one a Bus Driver, in the like manner the first thing that makes me a Poet is when I write continuosly. Also, I love putting my thoughts, feelings and things around me into an conceivable writings. I am a Poet because I think into the past, present and the future.

 

SYNW: WHAT WRITERS DO YOU ADMIRE?

OR: I love the Late Buchi Emecheta’s "The Joy Of Motherhood,". The work makes me admire her so well. I love the way she made the book so real and imaginable. Also love some works written by Prof.  Femi Osofisan. His play titled "The Women Of Owu." is one of my favourites plays.

 

SYNW: WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

OR: I get inspired by the things happening to me and in my vicinity.

 

SYNW: TELL US ABOUT A NORMAL WORKING DAY…

OR: Before the pandemic, my normal working day used to be teaching, but now I majorly write, read and sew sometimes.

 

SYNW: HOW DO YOU WRITE?

OR: Whenever I have an idea or inspiration, I put it down immediately so as not to forget such idea, and review it later by arranging the words in lines and stanzas properly.

 

SYNW: WHAT’S YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS BEHIND A POEM?

OR: It depends on my own level of knowledge about the massege I want to pass, also I  always thought of what massage or point will the piece I am about to put down pass to the readers’ minds and how can this massage make or blight them.

 

SYNW: DESCRIBE YOUR ROUTE TO BEING PUBLISHED…

OR: For now, I don’t have a published work of my own but ive been published in some notable anthologies.

 

SYNW: WHAT’S YOUR ADVICE TO AN ASPIRING POET?

OR: My advice to aspiring poet is to continue writing and never ceases to write, knowing that "quitters never win, and winners never quit." To become a winner, we have to continue writing, writing, and writing until people start to write about us. We have to continue building ourselves until we become the best.

 

SYNW: FINAL QUESTION (PROMISE!): DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR THE YET-TO-BE-PUBLISHED WRITERS READING THIS?

OR: A part of the scripture says "...despised not the days of little beginning..." a yet to be published writer should not despise the days of writing a "nonsense" because out of it will still be a little "sense." We are to know that a drop of water makes an Ocean. We are to take the right nutrients literally so as to grow   just as a baby that takes the right nutrients will grow normally. We should seek to know so as to be known, we should continue reading, reading, and reading until we will be read.

 

SYNW: TALK TO US ABOUT YOUR WRITING ROUTINE; WHAT’S A TYPICAL WRITING DAY FOR YOU?

OR: I write my rough works anywhere and at anytime but I do the proper works in a serene and conducive environment majorly very late in the night, around mid night or very early in the morning.

 

SYNW: WHERE DO YOU WRITE FROM?

OR: I write from Ibadan, the capital of Oyo State to be precise.

 

SYNW: ON THIS TOPIC, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO BUILD A PLATFORM AND GAIN READERSHIP?

OR: I’m still studying, reading, observing and learning from the established writers. I also participate in any open anthology.

 

SYNW: FAVORITE MOVIE?

OR: The Mount Zion Movies.

 

SYNW: BEST PIECE(S) OF WRITING ADVICE WE HAVEN’T DISCUSSED?

OR: I wish I had started writing early than now however it is not too late for me. So to everyone out there never think it is too late or too early for you to write. Also, writing entails having passion, if you are not passionate you can't write, as writing requires dedication and commitment. Writers also must be original, be known for your style of writing, don't try to imitate another person and loss your uniqueness in the process.

 

SYNW: SOMETHING PERSONAL ABOUT YOU PEOPLE MAY BE SURPRISED TO KNOW?

OR: I am a Fashion Designer

 

SYNW: WHAT’S NEXT?

OR: Growing better and bigger.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment